Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Abortion

I don't usually post about politics on this blog, but I have to get this off my chest.

I'm following a thread on Pinterest about abortion.  It seems that every time discussion comes up between pro-choicers and pro-lifers, people start arguing 'facts':  when is the fetus (baby) viable?  When does the heart start beating?  Does the fetus (baby) feel pain?  It's all so clinical.

I don't know a lot of the science.  I'm not a doctor.  But I know that there have been three instances where a life was growing inside me, and by 12 weeks, that life was gone.  I have never felt so hopeless than the moments when I had to acknowledge to myself that my baby was dying inside me and I couldn't save it.  To say that those babies of mine were nothing more than unresponsive lumps of cells tears my heart apart.

Knowing the pain of miscarriage, I can only imagine that there must be so much more pain women who undergo abortions carry around.  I'm not surprised that so many women so adamantly advocate for abortion, because to acknowledge the truth - that there was a baby growing inside you and you killed it, literally sucked it out of your uterus, must be more than any mother could bear.  Understandably, it's easier to justify your actions than to face that fact.

It breaks my heart that young women make this choice believing that it is the only (or the best) option for them.  They are victims, too.  They need the emotional, medical, financial and legal help necessary to carry their 'accidents' full term and then give them up for adoption, or take care of them themselves, or give them into the care of a family member, or whatever might be the best 'choice' for the baby (if we want to talk about choices here).  Maybe the resources are out there, and I am just unaware of them.  I do know that our community has a pregnancy help center established to give alternatives to abortion, but do other communities?  Are there governmental services available?  And why is it so much easier (and cheaper) to abort a baby than adopt one?

All I can say, is that I mourn for the women who chose to abort, and for the innocent lives they end.

No comments:

Post a Comment