Friday, June 24, 2011

A Must Read

I have been sadly neglecting my writing lately. The main reason is this:


Oh.  My.  Goodness.  I picked up A Game of Thrones, the first book in the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series at the library due to some buzz over the HBO remake.  Idle curiosity soon gave way to avid obsession as I was pulled into the world of the Seven Kingdoms, only to emerge to feed myself or the kids.  Sadly, this blog wasn't the only thing that has been getting less of my attention than it needs lately.  

George R.R. Martin is the author of the five book 'A Song of Ice and Fire'.  The fantasy world he creates rivals Tolkien's (really).  The story is told from the viewpoints of many different characters, both antagonists and protagonists, and keeps you on the edge of your seat as each turn of the page sweeps from one continent to the next, across battlefields, mystic rituals, and diverse people groups.  Powerful, compelling and imaginative, these books are impossible to put down.  

Reaching the end of book 2, A Clash of Kings, I rushed out to the library to get my hands on the next one.  Alas, for some reason it is checked out of the library right now (enter my despairing cry here, 'nooooooooo!').  The good news is, I just might get some things done while I'm waiting for it to reappear on the shelves.  Like cooking a meal for my family.  Paying attention to the kids.  Cleaning.  Laundry.  And blogging.  

2 comments:

  1. I have just picked up the first one too, and seen the first HBO series, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to add now that I'm into book #3: The series gets pretty raunchy the further in you get. There have been several explicit sex scenes so far in 'Song of Swords' (not on the level of romance novels, but still pretty descriptive). FYI!

    ReplyDelete