Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Put On Your Fancy Clothes

Sophie's 5th birthday party last weekend was an affair to remember.  She's all about Fancy Nancy right now, and we invited five little friends over to jubilate (that's fancy for celebrate).  We served sorbet punch in my antique punch bowl, had a chocolate fountain with all the fixings, and made accessories galore.


Ooo la la.

The little girls were invited to wear their most fancy dresses, as befitting a fancy party.  This resulted in a gaggle of princesses fitting around our house.  It was pretty much the cutest thing ever.


I've had a lot of kids over to my home in the past.  We've hosted play dates for years, and in the summer, our house is the 'pool house'.  I'm used to crowds of children rushing from room to room, bent on imaginary quests, with the noise level to match.  Of course with all the sugar at Sophie's party, I expected the same thing.  These particular girls are typically neither sedate nor demure.

That's why I was so surprised when the party was the most hushed, decorous, and sedate gathering I've ever had, including our grownups-only small group meetings.  I wondered if someone had slipped a Valium into the punch.

As I watched the girls, however, I realized that in donning their fancy clothes, they had also put on their fancy manners.  They were perfect, sweet little ladies.  Maybe I should have Sophie wear her princess dress every day.

This morning I read a passage:
... lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth ... Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.  Ephesians 4:22 - 25, 31 - 32
I sat amazed by the fact that, in believing in Christ and accepting His sacrifice for my sins, I'm actually clothed in His likeness.  This ugly old self that revels in bitterness, malice, wrath and clamor feels comfortable and right.  Feels like the only option.  But to think that I can cast aside those things, like an outgrown garment that is torn and stained, and put on the likeness of Christ - pure, spotless, safe, beautiful - shakes my heart to its foundations.

I want to remember today (every day) that I am wearing my fancy clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment